Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ready, Set, Research!


Action research is important for learning and school improvement. Action research, or sometimes called classroom research or practitioner inquiry, is a process in which the teacher or principal reflect on current teaching practices for learning and create a plan that has a scientific approach for improving the school. (Dana, 2009).  This inquiry process supports what lots of professionals in education always mention in school’s visions and mission statements about being a life-long learner. It is important to never stop learning and make sure your organization is action research oriented. As I mentioned before this is the first time that I have had a clear definition and explanation of what action research consist of. In learning about this process I have reflected on actions that my own principal has done at our school. She is a believer of action research; I just did not know how to recognize it. I wish that when I was a teacher she would have involved me in the process. If I would have done this in my classroom I would have helped with student achievement. Granted I did look at the trends in the data and tried my best with trying to close the achievement gap. How much more effective would I have been if I would have implemented a program or a strategy and monitored the success? If the administrators would have involved me in the process this would have built capacity among the teachers and give the staff a sense of ownership in our school’s success (Dana, 2009).

Finding time to engage in inquiry can be rewarding. Administrative inquiry is very important for a campus principal to practice. Time has to be found in their busy schedule to engage in inquiry. When the principal makes themselves the “head learner” it shows the rest of the staff a great model of how inquiry will increase the effectiveness of a school, (Dana, 2009). When starting an action research project a problem is defined, literature on the subject is found and reviewed, changes are made based on new findings and understandings, and data is taken. Once all the data is collected over an extended period of time, it is looked at for trends and analyzed to give information if instruction improved or the problem was solved.  This type of research encourages discussions with all stakeholders about how to improve student achievement and instructional practices.

Not only did I learn from my readings, but I learned from my colleagues when blogging. I was able to look at samples of other action research plans. It is very beneficial to see samples and compare and contrast my understandings with others. I was very hesitant when I heard I had to blog. I have avoided anything to do with technology because of my lack of understanding. Looking at it know I am glad that I was challenged and had assignments dealing with blogging. I also was able to see that I was not the only person that had to edit my plan over and over again. I was also able to see that other campuses had similar challenges as my school. Receiving comments from my followers also assisted me with my learning. Having another pair of eyes to look at my plan I was made aware of things I did not think about and ways to make my project better. For example, I was told I needed to be specific on the types of interventions that I would be using in my research. I was also told that I needed to mention that I was only focusing on one certain content area, which I did not mention in my plan. I also had comments that made me think about how I would support my findings with literature. I am still unsure about where to find these resources, but I will be sure to blog about this because I am sure someone will have some ideas.

The discussion board was another resource that helped me grow. By reading others thoughts and reflection I was able to see the process. The discussion board helped me with generating wonderings and finding the purpose of my action plan. Here I was also given comments that helped me narrow down my focus. I was questioned about certain aspects of my plan, which caused me to be rethink my explanations. This forced me to make sure I was clear with my explanations and everyone could understand my purpose and why I chose my goal.

I also enjoyed the interviews with administrators from other school districts. The interview that made me think and caused me to reflect is the one with Dr. Timothy Chargois. Listening to him opened my eyes to the importance of research on the campus and classroom level. One of the most powerful statements that are sticking with me is “The old adage of saying if I only touched one kid I’ve done….no sir that doesn’t work under today’s accountability”. I think it was an honest statement. It is alright to acknowledge you made a child feel better about them self, but it is always important that student progresses academically. Until the laws change about testing, this is a fact of education, student achievement is critical. His advice about being a lifelong learner being a key to students’ success is also very true.

 
“Never stop learning. If your green your growing, if you’re brown your dying”.

 
The concept of changing quantifying qualitative data is also a concept that made me think. Teachers have to produce results and have to use data to impact their instruction. Instructional strategies and methods have to be looked at and monitored to promote student achievement.  No longer should teachers be only knowledgeable in pedagogy and content, but also have to understand the benefits of performing research within their own classroom to produce results. Being action research oriented is important for teachers to accomplish results.  
 
I feel as if I am ready to pursue my research. I am looking forward to this opportunity to help my campus and especially the teachers.


 “If your kids are going to excel,….you’ve got to look at what they’re doing. Where are they, where do they need to be, how do we get them there? That’s essentially what inquiry is”, (Dana, pg.15).

 
Dana, Nancy Fichtman (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action Researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment